Lebanon, PA – As the hot summer weather continues, the Lebanon County Area Agency on Aging (AAA) reminds all Lebanon County residents, but especially older adults, that prolonged exposure to excessive heat and humidity can be dangerous. People aged 65 or older are more likely to develop heat related illnesses because of age-related changes in the body, chronic health conditions, or the effects of certain medications.
“On these hot and humid days, it’s important to be aware of the way the extreme heat can affect older adults, and to take steps to protect ourselves, our older relatives, and our neighbors, especially those who do not have air conditioning,” said Carol Davies, Administrator of the Lebanon County Area Agency on Agency.
Everyone is reminded of the safety tips that can help protect seniors and all residents of the County from the heat:
- Drink lots of water and other liquids, excluding caffeine and alcohol.
- Avoid direct sunlight and minimize time spent out of doors.
- Dress for the weather. Wear loose fitting, light-colored clothing to help airflow around the body, a hat and sunglasses, and sunscreen.
- Cool down. Seniors who are feeling hot can cool themselves down by taking a moderately cool shower or bath.
- Go somewhere where it’s cool. Senior who do not have air conditioning are urged to go to a place that does, for at least part of the day. Cool places can include a library, church, shopping center or a local Senior Center. Contact the AAA at 717-273-9262 or visit the website for more information on Senior Center locations.
- Wellness checks. Please check on elderly friends and neighbors during the summer months. If they do not have their own air conditioning or transportation to get to a cooler place, consider taking them somewhere cool.
The mission of the Lebanon County Area Agency on Aging is to develop, coordinate, and promote a continuum of services that values and supports older adults as they age; empowers them to maintain independence, dignity and respect; and enhances their overall well-being and quality of life.